Cystitis in cats is quite frequent but not be underestimated.
To combat this pathology it is very important to learn to recognize the symptoms. We want to give you advice on how to identify and treat it.
CYSTITIS IN CAT
Cystitis in cats can result from several causes:
- kidney stones;
- obstructions of the urethra;
- tumor masses;
- trauma and stress;
- use of drugs;
- diabetes in cats
- hormonal imbalances;
- bacteria or fungi.
CAT CYSTITIS SYMPTOMS
Here’s how to recognize if the cat has cystitis :
- the cat urinates continuously;
- can only make a few drops of urine;
- blood in the urine (hemorrhagic cystitis );
- the cat urinates out of the litter box;
- the cat becomes more aggressive and less sociable;
- the cat continuously licks his genitals;
- the cat becomes apathetic and hides;
- loss of appetite.
IDIOPATHIC CYSTITIS CAT
As with humans, however, there is a form of interstitial cystitis called idiopathic cystitis of which the cause is unknown.
This chronic form occurs with some frequency in young, castrated, or overweight cats.
Cats with interstitial cystitis are subject to very painful cystitis and repeated over time. The triggers, in this case, can be stressful situations such as a move, a change of litter box or a conflict with other cats.
CYSTITIS CAT REMEDIES
The first step to fighting recurrent cystitis in cats is to improve the conditions of the surrounding environment and limit possible sources of stress.
These are simple tricks that you can take right away if you notice that your cat suffers from cystitis:
- keep the litter box clean ;
- do not use sand scented or with chemical additives;
- if you have more than one cat prepare a litter box for each cat (competition stress will decrease);
- place the litter away from food;
- make sure the water in the bowl is always fresh;
- consider buying a cat fountain (stimulates the cat to drink more);
- buy a scratching post that will be a source of relaxation;
- play with the cat and stimulate him to make some movement (for example with a fishing rod for cats).
CAT CYSTITIS FEEDING
The ‘ power is unknown, affects a lot about cat health state why it is good to be careful.
It is on the composition of the food that the pH of the urine depends and also the onset of annoying kidney stones.
The diet, therefore, becomes fundamental, it must be low in salt and fat and rich in liquids to guarantee the cat the right hydration and the health of the kidneys.
You can think of cooking a healthy chicken broth for the cat with cystitis, it will certainly be appreciated.
An overweight cat is more predisposed to these pathologies, therefore better to pay attention to what you feed him.
CAT CYSTITIS NATURAL REMEDIES
The drugs such as antibiotics and painkillers can be very useful in the treatment of bacterial cystitis but may prove to be inadequate in the case of chronic cystitis (not due to bacteria) or by stress.
In recent years a natural substance called PEA (present in the human and feline body) has been discovered capable of regulating the behavior of cells responsible for inflammation (mast cells).
The good news is that this drug can not only reduce pain but does not produce side effects.
If you notice that your cat suffers from cystitis, contact your veterinarian for precise indications.
Now that you can recognize the symptoms of cat cystitis, you can play in advance and prevent your cat from developing chronic forms that are difficult to reverse.